UPPSC – Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UP PSC)
UPPSC exam is conducted by Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission to recruit eligible candidates for the positions available in State Government.
The posts are categorized as Group A and Group B. The UPPSC exam is also known as the Combined States / Upper Subordinate Services Examination, as the exam is conducted to select the candidates for the executive branches available in the state government. Like any other PSC exams, the UPPSC also has three stages, namely Prelims, Mains, and the personality test. The prelims exam has two papers of multiple-choice questions, and the Mains exam has eight papers. The final round is the personal interview. The vacancies available will change every year. If you are preparing for the UPPSC exams, then it is essential to follow the new syllabus pattern released by the UPPSC board.
Candidates should know that UPPSC exams are conducted to pick PCS officers who may later be promoted as IAS officers based on their performance. The recent change in the UPPSC exam has made it identical to that of the UPSC exam pattern. As the IAS exam has four General Studies and one optional subject, the candidates will face the same in the UPPSC exam as well.
The Provincial Civil Services Exam eligibility criteria are provided in detail, and you can read them below before you apply for the exams. Every year, the eligibility criteria is subjected to change, and candidates have to follow up with the latest notifications from the UPPSC panel. The changes can either be trivial or significant, but candidates can only follow the previous year’s eligibility criteria.
UPPSC Age limit
The candidate should be twenty-one years to attend the UPPSC exams, and the maximum age limit is forty years. The age relaxation is available based on the category. For SC, ST, OBC, Skilled players UP in certain Games, Government staff in UP and Group B officers will have a five-year age relaxation. For Physically challenged candidates, fifteen years of age relaxation is given.
The educational qualification for the UPPSC exam is a bachelor’s degree in any domain or equivalent qualification is necessary. For individual posts, it is essential to have a degree in related fields. For example, the sub-registrar requires law graduation, and candidates and candidates selected under UP Agriculture service should have graduation under Agriculture. This varies based upon the posts that a candidate chooses. You can visit the official website of UPPSC to know about the educational qualification based on the posts.
Medical examination in UPPSC
For specific posts, candidates have to undergo physical measurements, and the posts include Assistant Conservator of Forest, Range Forest Officer, Dy. Superintendent of Police, Superintendent of Jail, District Commandant Home Guards, Excise Inspector, and more.
How to prepare for UPPSC exams?
Being one of the highly coveted exams in the country, UPPSC exam preparation should be unique, and you have to include practice, tests, and revision in your learning strategy.
Candidates cannot skip any of the topics in the UPPSC syllabus as they are essential, and the candidates should prepare without skipping any topic. When it comes to State Service exams, the candidates have to prefer the state board books for better preparations. The textbooks will provide more insights about the state than reading other books. Whether you prepare for Prelims, mains, or the interview, you have to focus on state more. You can check out the previous years’ question papers to understand the topics that have more importance, and analyzing the question papers will give you an idea about the UPPSC board’s requirements.
UPPSC Prelims Strategy
For UPPSC Prelims Paper 1, You have to learn topics such as
Current events of National & International importance
You can go through newspapers such as The Hindu or Indian express for current affairs, and there are many magazines to check out. You can go through the PIB release as well.
Indian History and National Movement
For History, you have three categories, namely Ancient, medieval, and modern History. First off, you can go through the school textbooks for a better understanding, and you need to focus more on State-related information while reading.
Indian and World Geography
Again in Geography, you will have to use school textbooks that will help you in the preparations. As Geography is about diverse locations across the world, candidates should also check out Newspapers and Atlas.
Indian Governance and Polity
The basics of Indian Polity can be understood by checking out the school books. If you want to learn more, you can go to the famous author’s books.
Social and Economic Development
Candidates can make use of class 9, 10, 11, and 12 text books.
Environmental Ecology, Climate Change, and Biodiversity
For Environmental Ecology and climate change, you can check out PD Sharma’s book for a clear understanding of the topics.
For General Science, the textbooks from Class 6 to 12 is more than enough to complete the preparations.
For, UPPSC Prelims Paper 2, you have to learn topics such as
- Interpersonal skills (including communication skills)
- Analytical Ability & Logical Reasoning
- Problem Solving & Decision Making
- General Mental Ability
- Elementary Mathematics (class X level – Algebra, Statistics, Geometry, and Arithmetic)
- General English (class X level)
- General Hindi (class X level)
When it comes to UPPSC Prelims II paper, it is about reading comprehension, logical reasoning, and English grammar as well. It is essential for the candidates to keep a check on M.K Pandey and R.S. Aggarwal’s books while preparing for the exams.
You can make use of Bipan Chandra, Laxmikant, Majid Hussain, Ramesh Singh, and other renowned authors’ for Mains exams. In addition, you can check out the newspapers every day and utilize a good magazine for current affairs. When it comes to current affairs, you have a lot of sources like PIB releases, Yojana, Rajya Sabha TV, and more. If you have more time, you can look into NCERT books, but state board books are mandatory for your State service examinations.
If you are preparing for Language exams, the school textbooks and regional newspapers can be of great help.
UPPSC Mains Syllabus
You will have to write three essays of word count seven hundred each in three hours and there are three sections from which the topics will be assigned.
- For Section A, the topic can be from Literature and Culture, Political Sphere and Social sphere
- For Section B, the topic can be from Science, Environment and Technology, Economic Sphere, Agriculture, Industry and Trade.
- For Section C, the topic can be from National and international affairs, natural disasters, development projects in the country.
For General Studies I, General Studies II, and General Studies III, the syllabus is extensive, and candidates can check out the official website to know the updated syllabus for UPPSC exams. For General Studies IV, the Ethics syllabus include a few topics like Ethics and Human Interface, Attitude, Emotional Intelligence, Contributions of moral thinkers, Probity in Governance, and Civil Service Values.
How to apply for the UPPSC PCS exam?
- You can apply for the UPPSC exams via online, and all you have to do is, navigate to the offical website and furnish the essential details to start your preparations.
- Go to uppsc.up.nic.in, and before applying, you should read the information regarding the exam so that you can keep the essential documents ready. You will find the “Apply Online” link on the homepage, which will direct you to apply for the UPPSC exams. Once the new tab opens, you should choose the language and proceed with the form filling.
- The form will necessitate necessary information such as name, category, gender, address, and more information. You should also submit contact details for future communication. Confirm that the information you have provided are all perfect. Otherwise, problems may arise. After filling the form, you have to validate the mail ID and contact number to proceed with the application process.
- Scanned photo and signature are other important details that you have to include. You have to follow the same size and format mentioned to get the approval.
- After filling the form and other details, the application fee should be paid and check the fee based on the category and have a hard copy.
Uttar Pradesh PCS Exam Pattern
Prelims exam is the first stage in the UPPSC PCS exam, and there are two papers. The questions are multiple-choice questions, and negative marking is also there. 1/3rd of marks will be reduced for incorrect answers. The General Studies paper has one hundred questions, whereas the CSAT exam has eighty questions. The time duration is two hours, and the total marks is 200.
Mains exam is the second stage in the UPPSC exam, and there are a total of eight papers. The papers are descriptive, and the first two papers are based on GS questions, whereas the other four papers are two optional subjects. Candidates can choose the mode of exams based on their wishes. General Studies (Four papers), Optional subject (one paper), Hindi (one paper), and Essay (one paper). Each paper has two hundred marks, whereas Language papers have 150 marks and one optional subject has 400 marks.
Complete the UPPSC preparations successfully
If you work hard, then nothing can stop you from scoring the top marks in the UPPSC exam. The success path initiates from your preparations, and you have to use techniques to study efficiently. It might be difficult for you to complete the huge syllabus, but with proper planning and a timely schedule, the preparations will help you complete the syllabus on time. When it comes to State service, nearly half a million students are appearing for the exams. So you will be competing with thousands of candidates who have the same dream as you. Here are a few tips that will help you to prepare for the UPPSC exams.
- First off, you have to check the syllabus and craft a plan in a way that you can cover the syllabus thoroughly. You should find reliable study materials at the beginning instead of perplexing at the last minute. Whether you take up a coaching class or prefer self study, it is essential to be consistent in your preparations.
- For those who are in for self study, it is essential to get insights from expert educators as you will get an in-depth understanding of the subjects. You might also consider connecting with the toppers, and many IAS coaching centers make their students connect with the toppers so that they can discuss the difficulties in the UPSC exams.
- For candidates who choose the best IAS coaching center to start their IAS preparations, it is essential for you to learn even without guidance. You will have the support of staff members, but it is important to put efforts from your side as you are the one going to face the exams. So a lot of effort from your side is expected.
- As said, study materials play a crucial role in UPPSC preparations, and it is essential to choose the books of famous authors. The books of Bipan Chandra, Ramesh Singh, and spectrum, can be a game-changer in the Government exam preparations.