Questions On Properties And Uses Of Terylene
Terylene is a synthetic polyester fibre produced by polymerizing ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid. Terylene is used in the textile industries often as it is a reliable option to fabricate dresses and other durable clothes. With Terylene, there are so many clothes manufactured in the industry.
A few decades ago, Lanca and Shire are the two chemists who discovered Terylene fibre. It was found when a process executed involving ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid. These two elements are acquired from petroleum. Being a widely used fibre in the textile industry, people produced a wide gamut of clothing. Moreover, it is combined with cotton and wool to make durable clothes. It it important to know about the properties and uses of Terylene fibre.
Terylene is the synthetic polyester which is produced during the polymerization of elements found in the petroleum. It was invented by John Rex Whinfield and named as Dacron. The endurance and sturdiness of this polyester is way too more than nylon. Terylene goes by the abbrevations like PET, PETE and more.
It has different brand names based on the countries. For instance, Terylene is the name used in UK whereas Lavasan is the name used in Russia and Dacro in the United States. You would have seen plastic bottles made for soft drinks and they are all produced using Terylene only. An additional layer is added to decrease oxygen permeability. There are many applications in which Terylene comes to usage.
As we are talking about the questions on properties and uses of Terylene, it is essential to check the answers below.
Properties of Terylene
- The fibre is renowned for the elastic nature and resist creasing it possesses. The clothing made of this fibre requires little to no ironing and it is a strong fibre. So, there is no harm caused by bleaching or cleaning agents. Also, the acidic substances can have a mild reaction only.
- When buying clothes, most people think about the maintenance. However, it is easy to wash. One thing that you can easily remember about this fibre is that it acquires less water and also dries instantly.
- Other important properties include that Terylene is resistant to friction and also endures high temperatures.
- Moreover, it is insoluble in alkalis as well as acids and no doubts about other organic solvents.
These are the properties that you should know about Terylene fibre. In a nutshell, it is enduring towards acids, friction, high temperature. Above all, requires less water to wash and also dries quickly. These are important to remember. Now, let us get to know about the uses of Terylene.
USES OF TERYLENE
As questions on properties and uses of Terylene are quite important, here are the simple uses that you can easily remember.
- Firstly, you should know that terylene is used as polyester tricot knit. It is used in fashion garments.
- Moreover, terylene is also used in garments that assure protection and endurance. For instance, terylene is used to make raincoat, fleece jackets and more.
- The fibre is also used as clothing vacuum packaging machine
- Terylene is also used to make plastic bottles.
That is all about the answers for questions on properties and uses of Terylene. Now, lets us check out the frequently asked questions.
Know Questions on properties and uses of Terylene :-
Ques: What is terylene?
Ans. Terylene is produced by polymerizing ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid. It is predominantly used in textile industry to produce hard wear. Moreover, it is also used to make clothing vacuum packaging machine and more. Terylene is durable and it is elastic in nature.
Ques:- How Terylene is manufactured?
Ans. Terylene is manufactured during the polymerization of ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid.
Ques:-What are the uses of Terylene?
Ans. Terylene is mainly used in the textile industry to make hard wear garments like,
- Rain coats
- Fleece jackets
- What are the properties of Terylene?
- Terylene fabric is easy to maintain
- Elastic in nature
- Bleaching agents, acidic substances cause no harm
- Resistant to friction
- Endure high temperature
- Insoluble in organic solvent
These are the important questions on properties and uses of Terylene. You should known about it without any hindrance. It will be very helpful for you to learn well for the exams.